23 June 2013

Midsummer Swedish Kladdkaka Cake

Happy Midsummer everyone!

Actually I’m not sure what people say to each other on this day. Midsummer is celebrated in Europe (particularly in the Scandinavian countries) and it takes place around the same time as summer solstice. As Singapore is a tropical island located near the equator, we have pretty much quite the same number of daylight hours throughout the year. In Europe, summer solstice occurs on the day when we have the longest daylight hours.


Source: Robert Nyman’s website
Before living in Europe, it was hard to imagine that it would still be bright at 10pm in England. I thought Daniel was trying to impress me (who knows why this would be impressive?) when he told me this fact years ago. But I don’t remember him telling me about the long, dark winters. CHEATER BUG!!!

Here’s a BBC picture of the Brits mark summer solstice at Stonehenge.

 
Source: BBC News 
And since I love the summers in Germany (on days that actually feel like summer) I looked up online on how to bake Kladdkaka which is a Swedish chocolate cake with a gooey centre. I baked it today and I must say it is officially my favourite chocolate cake. It’s soft in the centre which melts in your mouth when it’s warm.
Copyright Yoyo's Kitchen Adventures
If it’s your first time baking this cake you might wonder if it’s actually cooked through. Unlike most cakes, if you poke a stick through its centre it will NEVER and SHOULD NOT come out clean. It is meant to be gooey, sticky... NOT DRY.

Copyright Yoyo's Kitchen Adventures

Here is the brilliant recipe from it from All Recipes

Ingredients
  • 60g all-purpose flour
  • g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1g sale
  • 2 eggs
  • 240g white sugar
  • 15ml vanilla extract
  • 115g butter, melted
Instructions (Baking time - 35 to 40 minutes)

  1. Preheat oven to 150C. Lightly grease an 8 inch tin.
  2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set it aside. 
  3. Stir the eggs into the sugar until smooth. 
  4. Add the flour mixture, and stir just until combined. 
  5. Pour in the vanilla extract and butter. Stir until it is well combined.
  6. Pour mixture into tin.
  7. Bake in the lower tray of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the center has slight set.
  8. Allow cake to cool before serving.  
Tips
This recipe has been tested by many and received a high rating overall. I followed the recipe exactly (word for word) and it worked out really well for me. The only thing I might change on hindsight perhaps is to reduce the amount of sugar used since I sprinkled icing sugar on the cake before serving.

Don't worry if this cake doesn't rise just like other ordinary cakes. It is meant to be a little flat and dense. But I assure you, it is DELICIOUS. 


Copyright Yoyo's Kitchen Adventures
So, here we are wishing everyone a good week ahead and Happy Midsummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment