22 July 2013

Mango Salsa

Sweet and delicious honey mangoes from PakistanIt has been really hot, humid and sunny in Frankfurt for the past couple of weeks. Temperatures are rising well above 30 degrees Celsius and according to the weather app I have on my phone, we can expect 36 degrees Celsius on Saturday! Many say I should be used to the heat since I’m from Singapore. Unfortunately I rely a lot on air-conditioning. It is possible to not drop a sweat in Singapore. We don’t have air-conditioning in our apartment but again, who does in Europe? It’s usually cold anyway apart from a few weeks in the summer, and that’s if we get a summer. And I don’t think it’s necessary for us to get a fan for a couple of weeks. Thank goodness our apartment doesn’t trap that much heat.

If you’ve read my Aglio Olio post, you would know that I am trying to think of recipes for this blistering hot summer. I’ve been having lots of fruits to cool myself down and I was so excited to know that Yuan Fa Asian Supermarket at Konstablewache sells honey mangoes from Pakistan. I love mangoes and they are one of my favourite fruits. It’s pointless trying to get mangoes from German supermarkets because they just don’t taste as sweet.

I’m a mango fanatic. I finished an entire box of them by myself and got another box over the weekend. Daniel doesn’t have much of them because they’re really sweet (honey mangoes…duhzzz) and for some reason reminds him of durians! As a hardcore mango and durian eater, I assure you these mangoes taste just exactly like mangoes.

sliced mangoes
They were extremely juicy. Let you in on a secret – I was slicing and sneakily eating the mangoes in the kitchen. Couldn’t resist the urge to feast on my favourite fruit!

With my second box of mangoes, I decided not to be selfish and share them with Daniel. I had to think of how to make the mangoes taste less sweet so that he’ll have some of then.  I don’t know how but I thought I would use either lemons or lime to make the fruit less sweet. Hell knows what I was thinking but I decided to make Mango Salsa based on an indian salad I made years ago.

Mango salsa, an easy and quick to make side dish on a hot summer day

Ingredients (serves 4  as a side dish)
  • 3 small mangoes, peeled and diced (they must be very ripe and sweet)
  • half a cucumber peeled and diced
  • 2 tbsp of jalapeno chillies diced
  • half a red onion diced
  • juice from 2 limes
  • a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
  • a handful of fresh mint, chopped
  • salt and black pepper
Instructions
  1. Combine all the ingredients together and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Isn’t this just a piece of cake? It’s so easy! This fruity salsa has a tinge of spiciness to it and is sure to add excitement to whatever you’re serving it with. It reminds me so much of Thai cuisine which sometimes has a mixture of sweet and spicy tastes to it. Mango salsa is the perfect summer appetizer or snack and I do recommend you to try it if you haven’t.
So, what is your favourite summer dish that you enjoy in this boiling heat? Do feel free to share in the comments below!
I’m just going to sit out in the balcony and have my Mango Salsa now. Excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment