20 February 2014

Chinese Braised Pork Belly

After seeing an alluring picture of Kong Bak Pau (braised pork in steamed buns) on Instagram, I craved badly for some braised pork belly. I’ve tried making this one pot dish a few times with little success. The recipes were either too salty or simply, didn’t taste right. Hence, I was over the moon when the recipe from Noob Cook turned out the way I remember braised pork belly to be.

20140220-205702.jpg

I tweaked the recipe slightly as I’m not a fan of star anise or cloves. Also, I added “ang moh” (western) mushrooms because Daniel isn’t quite fond of Chinese mushrooms.

When it comes to braised pork belly, I love them succulent and tender. I cooked the dish on low heat for 3 hours to achieve the ideal texture. The long hours on the stove also resulted in meat that was full of flavour!

It’s surprising how far half a teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice, 1 cinnamon stick, some garlic and 1.5 tablespoon of soy sauce can go.

We had this with fragrant white rice and it was heavenly. It reminded Daniel of being in Singapore (without the heat he loves …).

Truth be told, I would probably not attempt this dish if I lived in Singapore. Why would I even need to step into the kitchen when I’m surrounded by talented cooks in the family and affordable food everywhere? Living abroad, especially in Germany, has encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and explore different aspects of life. Dishes that seemed so complicated to me in the past don’t frighten me anymore.

Now, craving’s satisfied. I’m a happy person looking into other dishes to experiment with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment