20 July 2013

Aglio Olio

It has been really hot lately and I can’t bring myself to have anything too hearty – like stews, or anything too heavy and creamy. And so here’s a recipe for aglio olio which is a little zesty – perfect in the summer!

Ingredients (serves 2)
160g spaghetti
1 tbsp salt (for boiling spaghetti)
8 cloves of garlic chopped (I love them!)
1 lemon (for zest and juice)
8 – 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
8 fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 tbsp mixed dried chilli & black pepper seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil

Instructions
1. Cook spaghetti in salted boiling water (follow packet instructions).
2. Drain spaghetti but keep about 3 tablespoons of the liquid.
3. Stir fry garlic in olive oil till golden brown but do not let it burn.
4. Add basil and mint and mix well for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat down to low.
5. Add cooked spaghetti, dried chilli & black pepper mixture and lemon zest. Mix it well.
6. Add lemon juice and the reserved pasta water to spaghetti.
7. Turn off heat. Stir well to ensure that spaghetti is evenly coated. Serve while it’s hot.

I love the zesty taste of the pasta. I’ve never had lemon zest in my aglio olio before (not even in restaurants) until I chanced upon Jamie Oliver’s recipe.

I bought pots of basil and mint yesterday as I really want to try to use more fresh ingredients in my cooking. It’s amazing how the kitchen just smells so much more refreshing with these herbs sitting beautifully by the window sill.


And here’s the chopped mint.


Unfortunately I couldn’t get fresh chilli from the supermarket so I used dried chilli which is just as good, I reckon. Probably not as spicy which is fine by me.

If you have a special aglio olio recipe too please do share with me in the comments section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment