27 July 2013

Yorkshire Pudding

Living abroad in a foreign land can be frustrating when you have no access to your favourite home-cooked delicacies. It’s not too bad in Frankfurt as we’re spoilt with a good variety of restaurants and supermarkets. But occasionally I’ll find myself scratching the walls, dying to have something Singaporean or British.

I’ve learnt to cook a few Chinese dishes and I’m really proud of myself. It really does cure homesickness especially when I’m a foodie person. Thankfully Daniel isn’t a fussy eater and he loves Chinese food too. However a couple of days ago I realised I don’t really know how to cook anything British (and I don’t mean just frying sausages or bacon). Hence I attempted to make a Sunday Roast.

When it comes to cooking something I’m not familiar with I believe in taking baby steps. So I tried to make our own Yorkshire Puddings. Much to my surprise, the recipe calls for only 3 ingredients! And I assure you it’s really simple to make too. The recipe was originally from BBC Good Food but I made a quarter of it.

20130727-091920.jpg

Ingredients (Makes 3-4 average sized Yorkshire Puddings)
35g plain flour
1 egg
50ml milk
Sunflower oil for cooking


Instructions
1. Heat the fan oven to 230 degrees cels. Drizzle sunflower oil evenly into a Yorkshire Pudding tin or muffin tin. As I haven’t got either of them, I used a mini-cupcake tin which works fine too. This is why I had 8 mini Yorkshire Puddings even though the recipe claims to serve 3-4. Heat the tin in the oven for a good 15 minutes at least.

The trick to having really fluffy, puffed up Yorkshire Puddings is to ensure that the tin is sizzling hot!
2. Mix the flour and egg in a bowl till smooth. Gradually add in the milk and beat till it’s lump-free. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To make it easier for you to pour the batter into the tin, first pour the mixture into a jug. Remove the heated tin from the oven and pour the batter evenly into the holes.
4. Bake them for 25 minutes or until they’re golden brown. Remove from oven and serve while they’re warm.

Do not open the oven door when cooking Yorkshire Puddings if you want them to rise!

20130727-093006.jpg

I wondered why my Yorkshire Puddings weren’t sunken in the middle. I reckoned the tin was too small and it didn’t allow the batter to spread horizontally. However it didn’t affect the taste at all. This October we’ll be back in England for a holiday so I’m definitely getting my hands on Yorkshire Pudding tins!
20130727-093555.jpg

The taste was simply marvellous. I love how fluffy it turned out to be although I must admit I was shocked and worried why they didn’t look like the frozen ones.

20130727-094407.jpg

And so may I now proudly say that I can make one of Britain’s favourite and most popular dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment