24 August 2013

Easy Scones Recipe

20130823-202705.jpg

An intensive, vigorous 60-minute Body Fit workout left me crawling home on Friday afternoon with zero appetite. Wasn't exercise supposed to make you feel hungry later? Or does that apply only to swimming? I spent 4 precious hours pondering what to have for lunch as I read my crime novel. It wasn't until 4.30pm that I decided to make some scones. We might as well call that tea time.

20130823-172239.jpg

Ingredients for 6 scones
225g self-raising flour
25g cold/chilled butter
Pinch of salt
15g caster sugar
50g sultanas
150ml cold milk
1 egg beaten with a little milk (for brushing later)

Method
1. Heat oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
2. Sift flour and salt into a dry mixing bowl.
3. Add the butter and use your fingers to quickly rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the sugar and sultanas. Mix well.
5. Make a well in the centre and stir in the milk to make the dough. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle some flour.
6. Transfer the dough onto a floured board and knead it lightly until smooth and then roll it out to about an inch thick.
7. Using a large cookie cutter, cut the dough. Place them on a well floured baking sheet.
8. Brush with the beaten egg and milk mixture. (Lightly will do or it might turn out quite brown like mine)
9. Bake in the oven (middle shelve) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Cool on a rack before eating.

I didn't have clotted cream at home so I used only strawberry jam. As they're packed with sultanas, these scones are surprisingly good on their own too! Crispy on the outside, light on the inside. Just the way I like my scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment