5 March 2014

Thai Green Curry

The great thing about curries is they are so versatile. Unless you’re particular about what makes an authentic Thai curry, I reckon you’ll be happy to use whatever’s in your fridge to cook up a storm.

20140305-200810.jpg


A mid week curry is a brilliant way to add a little fire to our tongues. The last time I made green curry was in my first trimester and I just couldn’t stand its pungent smell. Although I’m one of the few lucky ones to not suffer any morning sickness, I had a heightened sense of smell which meant plain rice/ Chinese porridge was all I could stomach. Therefore I’m really glad to be able to enjoy a curry now.

Here are the ingredients I used.

20140305-201125.jpg

20140305-201320.jpg


400g chicken breasts
400ml Coconut milk
2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
1 broccoli
1 garlic clove
Half an onion, sliced
Half a red pepper
Half a green pepper
Some coriander (to garnish at the end)
2 tbsp Fish sauce (optional)
2 tbsp sugar



Method

1. Heat a little oil in a wok and put in the garlic and onions. Cook till fragrant. Remember to toss the ingredients quickly to ensure they don’t burn.

2. Add the curry paste and fry it for 2-3 minutes.


3. Add the chicken and make sure that it is well coated by the paste and fry till light brown.


4. Add coconut milk and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.


5. Throw in the broccoli, and half the peppers (both red and green). The remaining peppers will be added at the end to garnish the dish. Cook for 5-8 minutes till the vegetables soften.


6. Now, add the sugar and fish sauce. You can either add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you want your curry to be.


7. Take the pot off the stove.


8. Dish up and garnish with coriander and peppers.


I usually cook Thai curries with aubergines and carrots but I didn’t have any of those in the fridge. That didn’t stop me from making a mouth-watering, satisfying curry. Cooking isn’t set in stone so, just use your best judgment and have fun in the kitchen.

For those who prefer an alternative curry, do check out my Red Thai Curry recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment